As the U.S. enters the closing days of summer, motorcyclists take to the streets to fit in those final road trips. These hot days create perfect conditions for an open-air getaway along Connecticut’s coastal roads.
However, more motorcycles create more risk for motorists. Though bikes only account for 3% of all registered vehicles, they account for 14% of all traffic deaths. How can car drivers help save lives and make roads safer?
Helping motorcyclists stay safe
Many motorcycle accidents occur when another car violates a motorcycle’s right-of-way. Car drivers can help prevent these types of accidents by increasing motorcycle awareness and adhering to the basics of road safety. The following guidelines can help drivers keep bikers safe:
- Pay close attention to blind spots: Cars and trucks alike can disappear into a car’s blind spot, so drivers must take extra care to look for motorcycles.
- Give bikers more of the road: When motorcycles are near, careful drivers will give them more space to enact maneuvers and respond to changing road conditions.
- Always use a turn signal: Failing to signal a turn can be lethal for bikers who may take longer to respond safely. Safe drivers know turn signals are for everyone else on the road, not oneself.
- Left turns are dangerous: Most fatal motorcycle accidents occur in intersections. Safe drivers take their time in an intersection, especially when making a left turn.
- Do not use high-beams: High-beams can completely blind a biker at night. Careful drivers refrain from using their brights when a motorcycle is near.
- Do not drive under the influence: Drunk driving is illegal in the United States, but many people still choose to drive while intoxicated every day. Bikers are 29 times more likely to die when involved in a traffic accident; all it could take is one ill-informed decision to end a life.
Speak with an attorney for legal recourse
Bikers injured in a traffic accident can seek legal recourse with the help of a lawyer. An attorney can assess one’s case, file the appropriate paperwork and even draft a settlement agreement.